You are here
12 Days of Self Care: 13 of the Best Things to do by Yourself
The holidays can be a lonely time if you aren’t close with your family or live far away. It can be hard to be alone during this extra festive time. Just because you’re alone doesn’t mean you have to be lonely! Often we wait to have friends or family with us before we do fun or special things but I think we should change our approach! Once you start doing more things alone you might find a newfound sense of freedom! If you’re not sure where to start check out this list of suggestions!
- Go for a walk! Check out this article for some helpful tips!
- Cook something special for yourself. Check out this blog for some helpful tips.
- Organize and clean your space
- Take up a hobby
- Plan a trip (It doesn’t matter if you’ll go or not - just pretend and let your imagination run wild!)
- Do something creative.
- Go see a movie
- Visit a museum
- Go to the library
- Call a friend or relative
Have a themed skype date. For example the theme could be pizza party (you both eat pizza), silly hat, extreme makeup, etc.
- Cuddle a furry friend
- Read - immerse yourself in someone else’s life story
- Reflection Time - review achievements set goals for improvement
We hope you enjoy some of these suggestions! If you find yourself persistently lonely and sad it might be good to get some extra support. Check out this page for some help getting started.
Here are some additional helpful resources:
Kathryn is a recent MSW graduate currently trying to #adult. Prior to joining mindyourmind Kathryn worked with youth in the community development sector. She loves being part of a team and working on creative projects. In her spare time Kathryn is a proud plant parent, home chef and avid volunteer. Kathryn is excited to be a part of the mindyourmind team and looks forward to working on innovative and stigma busting projects.
Find blogs with relevant and up-to-date info about mental health, society and other youth topics; written by a variety of youth and professional contributors.