You are here
Feel Good Friday: Top 8 Superbowl 2018 Ads
While a lot of people may not be fans of football itself, many tune in to watch the Superbowl just for the always buzzworthy, special edition commercials that tend to span from heart-warming, to comical, to controversial, to downright bizarre. We compiled a list of some of what we felt were the top “feel good” ads for your convenience - whether they made us smile, chuckle, or just feel warm inside! In no particular order:
- Amazon Alexa Loses Her Voice - When the intelligent and personal voice assistant, “Alexa”, developed by Amazon (similar to Apple’s “Siri”) loses her voice, celebrities take over.
- Doritos Blaze vs. Mountain Dew Ice - In a joint ad for Doritos new “Blaze” flavour and Mountain Dew’s “Ice,” Morgan Freeman and Peter Dinklage face off in an epic lip-sync rap battle.
- The Only Man Whose Bleep Don’t Stink - Febreze - Meet Dave, the only man whose “bleep” doesn’t stink. At the end of the ad, Febreze points out that unfortunately the people at your Superbowl party aren’t like Dave, so you better get your bathroom prepared with some Febreze.
- Good Odds - Toyota - As a sponsor of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Toyota produced this ad as a tribute to the journey of Lauren Woolstencroft, who beat the odds to win 8 Paralympic gold medals.
- Touchdown Celebrations to Come - NFL - This ad stars Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. practicing a touchdown celebration like you’ve never seen, “Dirty Dancing” moves and all.
- We’re All One Team - Toyota - This fun ad features a group of friends carpooling to an NFL game. Not just any group of friends, this squad of guy pals is made up of a priest, a rabbi, an imam, and a monk.
- This is Getting Old - E*TRADE - With a message of saving early for retirement, this ad provides a comical portrayal of elderly people returning to the workforce because they had no retirement savings. Ever picture your grandpa as a lifeguard or your grandma as a DJ? Here’s what it might look like.
- The Wonder of Us - Coca-Cola - A beautiful message of diversity and inclusion that particularly celebrates those who are LGBTQ, using gender-neutral pronouns and all!
The idea of Feel Good Fridays started because we believe the simple things that bring a smile to our face, are some of the best things. Smiling and laughing has been proven to reduce stress in our lives! When we smile or laugh it releases neurotransmitters in our brain called endorphins, which are in charge of making us happy and helping to relieve stress.
Remember to check back for next week’s Feel Good Friday!
Scarlett has been volunteering with mindyourmind since 2012 and has been a member of the staff team since 2016. As a Psychology graduate from King's University College at Western, she is passionate about all things related to the subject and is a proud mental health advocate with lived experience.
Find blogs with relevant and up-to-date info about mental health, society and other youth topics; written by a variety of youth and professional contributors.