You are here
Dear Younger Self by Kathryn
It’s me, your future self, I have some advice for you because I’ve lived your life…
- You’re a hard worker and that’s great. That being said, resting and taking breaks is just as important. You won’t be able to get anything done if you’re exhausted. No one is judging you for resting except for you.
- You are a good person, you do good things, you are enough. It doesn’t matter what other people say, their perceptions of you are more about them than it is about you.
- Trying new things is great but you don’t have to finish everything you start. If you don’t like it, quit. You don’t need a well thought out reason, “I’m not into it” is enough. It’s not for you and someone else will find joy in it. As you know, life is short, enjoy it.
- You’re allowed to have feelings about things too, you don’t always need to be the rational one. It’s not your job to protect the feelings of the adults around you.
- Things work out, just put in the work and good things will happen, even when you think they won’t. If things don’t work out just know that something better is coming.
- Most importantly, you’re a work in progress. You still struggle with some of these things and you will struggle with different things in the future, be kind and patient with yourself.
Kathryn is a former mindyourmind staff and continues to work in the youth & community development sectors. In her spare time, she is a proud plant parent, home chef and avid volunteer.
This is a place to see shared stories and experiences submitted by young people. It represents the truth of the people who submitted their stories.